Jul 17, 2024  
Ohio University Graduate Catalog 2023-24 
Ohio University Graduate Catalog 2023-24 [Archived Catalog]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search

 Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

1. Enrollment Information

2. Reenrollment

3. Registration Information

4. Changing Your Schedule After Classes Begin

5. Canceling or Withdrawing (Dropping All Classes)

6. Leave of Absence Policy

7. Tuition and Fees

8. Grading Information

9. Standards of Work

10. Classroom Policies

11. Intellectual Property Policy

12. Research Compliance

13. Harassment Policy

14. Professional Ethics in the Discipline 

15. Identification Card

16. Ohio University Email Account

17. Student Records Information

18. Official Notifications for Students


Enrollment Information

Top ^

Course credit earned at Ohio University is designated in semester hours.

Student Enrollment Status

Student enrollment status for graduate students is defined as follows:

  • Nine (9.0) semester hours or more – Full-time enrollment
  • Five (5.0) or more semester hours but fewer than nine (9.0) – Half-time enrollment
  • Fewer than five (5.0) semester hours – Less than half-time enrollment

You must receive permission from your academic program to register for more than 18 hours in a semester. If you are granted permission to exceed the maximum hours, you will receive a “Permission to Exceed Maximum Credit Hours” form that should be returned to Registrar Services, first floor, Chubb Hall during regular registration period. If permission is obtained after the regular registration period has closed, you must return the form to the Graduate College.

Graduate Appointment Enrollment Requirements

For fall and spring semesters:

  • Students holding RA, GA, TA, or GRS appointment that includes a full or partial tuition scholarship must register for a minimum of 12 graduate hours.
  • Students holding a service stipend only with no tuition scholarship must register for a minimum of one half (0.5) graduate hour.

For summer semester:

  • Students holding a graduate appointment that includes a full or partial tuition waiver must register for a minimum of nine (9) graduate hours.
  • Students holding a service stipend only with no tuition scholarship must register for a minimum of one half (0.5) graduate hour.

Courses numbered 5000 or above carry graduate credit. Hours taken for Audit, Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE) courses, and undergraduate courses cannot be used to meet the minimum graduate credit hour requirements. Some departments or schools may require registration for more hours.

Continuous Enrollment

All Ph.D., Ed.D., and M.F.A. students must enroll for credit-bearing courses for at least two semesters of each academic year from the time they first enroll in their degree program through the duration of their program unless on an approved leave of absence. Students on leave of absence are understood not to be using university resources, including faculty advising, or actively working on degree requirements. Degree requirements and incomplete/PR courses may not be completed during a leave of absence.

Summer registration for credit is required for graduate students when degree components, or courses with previous Incomplete or PR grades, are completed in that semester. Degree components include comprehensive exams, dissertation or thesis defense, completion of a non-dissertation capstone project, and graduation. Students completing the TAD process “early for” the next semester must be enrolled for credit during the semester that the thesis or dissertation is filed.

Doctoral and MFA students who have completed their coursework may enroll at a minimum in a half-credit CE course to meet continuous enrollment requirements. Half-credit CE courses count as full-time student status. Any other credit-bearing graduate registration at OHIO also fulfills continuous enrollment requirements.

Students in programs that require professional internships after all other degree requirements are completed may enroll in a 0 credit-hour internship course to fulfill continuous enrollment requirements.

Any student who fails to enroll for more than one semester will be moved to inactive status and must apply for re-enrollment to their program if they wish to continue in the program. The re-enrollment process can be found in the Graduate Catalog and the appropriate form is on the Registrar’s website (https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/forms.cfm). Return to active status requires approval from both the program and Graduate College. At the discretion of the program, the student may be required to meet current catalog requirements at the time of re-enrollment.

Once reinstated, the student will be enrolled in 0.5 credit hour for each semester of missed enrollment up to a maximum of 2 semesters, in the first semester of reenrollment. Thus, a returning student would be enrolled for up to 1.0 credit hours of missed continuous enrollment and would need to additionally enroll for at least 0.5 credit hours. The student is responsible for paying tuition and fees for these hours, along with any penalties or late fees. Reinstated students must maintain continuous enrollment in current and any future semesters. Failure to maintain continuous enrollment after being reinstated will result in the student being dropped from the program and will require a student to apply for re-admission under the current catalog and any conditions defined by the academic program (which may include dismissal after additional failure to follow continuous enrollment policy).

Please note this policy goes into effect for all Ph.D., Ed.D., and M.F.A. students in Fall semester 2022, with Fall 2022 counted as the first semester of missed enrollment for students in these degree programs who are not enrolled at that time.

Veterans Educational Benefits

If you are a graduate student planning to receive veterans education assistance, you must register for at least 4.5 semester hours for 7 week courses (nonstandard term) and nine (9) semester hours for 15 week courses (standard term) in order to be considered full time for VA education benefits. For more information about veterans benefits, contact:

The Brigadier General James M. Abraham—Colonel Arlene F. Greenfield Veterans and Military Student Services Center
Baker University Center, Suite 350
740.566.VETS (8387)

Ohio University is committed to our veterans and military affiliated students. We fully comply with the Veterans Benefits Transition Act of 2018 and no adverse actions (late fees, denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) will be taken against students who receive Veterans Educational Benefits due to late payments by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Furthermore, a covered individual will not be required to borrow additional funds because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment to be provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs.*

*Text added on 9/27 due to a requirement from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

International Students

Students on an F-1 or J-1 status must enroll for a minimum of nine semester credit hours to meet immigration reporting requirements. Students must obtain permission from the Office of International Student and Faculty Services to register for fewer hours, drop any courses that would bring them below full-time status, register late, or withdraw from all classes.

Ohio University Employee Registration and Enrollment Limitations

All persons on full-time presidential contract, except senior administrators (vice presidents, vice provosts, associate provosts, and deans) are eligible to apply for admission to a graduate program or to nondegree status. The Associate Provost for Graduate Studies and the Graduate Council will review all applications for potential conflict of interest. If the Graduate Council determines that a conflict exists, the faculty member or administrator shall not be admitted to a graduate program. It is the responsibility of the Dean of the Graduate College to see that this review takes place at the earliest possible date.

No academic employee above the rank of Instructor, Research Assistant, or the equivalent may receive from the University the Master’s Degree or the Doctor’s Degree in any graduate program where the faculty member has membership, teaches courses, serves on Master’s or Doctoral Committees, has, or is expected to have, other supervisory responsibilities which might give rise to conflicts of interest or the appearance of conflicts of interest. Faculty members or senior administrators on full-time presidential contracts at Ohio University seeking a terminal degree must enroll in academic programs outside the colleges in which they are employed. Appeals regarding this policy follow the guidelines established in accordance with the “Faculty Grievance Committee”’ procedures (see Section II.G).

A full-time faculty member or full-time administrator at Ohio University who is admitted to a degree program or to nondegree status may normally register for no more than 8 hours per semester. A person wishing to register for 9 to 10 hours must have written approval from the graduate chair of his/her/their academic program and from the administrative supervisor their employee position. Full-time faculty and full-time administrators who obtain approval to register for 9 or 10 hours per semester may not receive a graduate stipend. Course loads taken during breaks in regular employment, however, such as summers for 9-month faculty, will be limited only by Graduate Catalog regulations. (Attention is also directed to the stipulations regarding residency requirements as stated in the Graduate Catalog and the Policy and Procedure Manual, No. 40.015.)

If a student who is currently in a graduate degree program is offered a presidential contract appointment, the situation shall be reviewed by the Dean of the Graduate College and the Graduate Council at the earliest possible date. The Graduate Council shall determine whether conflict of interest or unfair competition that might affect academic performance and evaluation would result from dual status as a student and a presidential-contract employee. If the Graduate Council determines that such a conflict would exist, they shall inform the student that he/she/they may not continue in their graduate program if he/she/they accept the presidential-contract appointment. 

Student Athletes

Student athletes must be enrolled in a degree program and registered for an appropriate number of credits. Refer to the NCAA Eligibility and Student –Athlete Success Center for specific details.


Top ^

Students who have not been enrolled for more than one semester (excluding summer) must submit a re-enrollment form before they can register. The Re-Enrollment Form is available on the Registrar’s website: https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/forms.

Students whose status has expired through time limits must apply for a time extension or reapply for admission (refer to the degree time limit information in this Catalog). Students whose admission status has expired due to graduation must apply to a new degree or non-degree program.

Registration Information

Top ^

Academic Calendar

The academic calendar is available online at https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/academic-calendar.

Dates are subject to change at the discretion of Ohio University.

Note: Deadlines are 5:00 p.m. EST on the date indicated (unless otherwise noted). However, online transactions may be processed beyond 5:00 pm EST if the online system is available. Deadlines are prorated for classes that do not meet for the full semester.


Registration policies, procedures, and the registration schedule are available online at the University Registrar’s website, https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/.

Some students may find that they are prevented from registering because a hold has been placed on their academic record. Holds are placed when students fail to meet financial or other obligations. Holds are listed in your MyOHIO Student Center, and hold items include information about the reason for the hold and the office to contact about resolving the hold.

You must be registered for a minimum of 0.5 hours of graduate credit in any semester in which you receive any service from the University, use its facilities, or graduate. Individual degree programs may set higher minimum registration thresholds for certain services or uses.  

The only exception to minimum enrollment is that you do not have to register for your graduation term if you meet the following conditions prior to the start of the first day of classes in the term you will officially graduate:

  1. You were enrolled for at least 0.5 credit hours in the term prior to your graduation term,
  2. You have completed all required coursework and have no incomplete grades, and
  3. You have completed all final projects and/or completed all required parts of the thesis or dissertation process by the posted deadlines.

Concurrent Graduate/Undergraduate Registration

Graduate students can register concurrently in graduate and undergraduate classes by submitting the Graduate Student Seeking Undergraduate Course Registration Form to the Graduate College prior to registration.  The form can be downloaded from the Graduate College website.

The following restrictions apply:

  • Tuition and fees for all registration are assessed at the Graduate level,
  • Registration is limited to 18 credit hours, regardless of course level. Registration beyond 18 credits will result in increased tuition charges,
  • Undergraduate courses do not count toward graduate degree requirements, and
  • Undergraduate courses do not count toward the minimum registration requirements for a graduate appointment.

Students must meet course pre- or co-requisites when registering. Grades earned for undergraduate work are not included in the calculation of the graduate grade point average.

Late Registration

Registration is not permitted after the Friday of the second week of the semester (in the case of some individual classes, after the first day) for classes that meet the full semester. All registration procedures should be completed by the Friday of the second week of the semester.

In cases where late registration is necessary, you will be charged a retroactive registration correction fee beginning the day after the Friday of the second week of the semester, unless late changes are the result of University delays, as determined by the University Registrar. The fine is


Changing Your Class Schedule After Classes Begin

Top ^

Note the terminology used in explanations of deadlines that follow:

Semester: any semester, including the 14-week summer semester

Session: any seven-week session

In the case of flexibly scheduled classes (classes that meet for fewer days than a semester or session), the deadlines are prorated. Deadlines to add, drop, and withdraw from individual classes are published in Course Offerings and students may find these deadlines in My OHIO Student Center by clicking the calendar icon. Contact Registrar Services, first floor, Chubb Hall, 740.593.4495, or registration@ohio.edu for additional information about deadline dates.

You may add a class, drop a class, or correct your registration by accessing My OHIO Student Center before the semester or session begins. However, adding certain classes after classes begin requires permission from the instructor and is prohibited after the Friday of the second week of the semester. Dropping any class after the Friday of the tenth week of a 14-week semester or the last instructional day of the fifth week of the seven-week summer session is prohibited except by petition from your college’s Associate Dean. (See “Drops” below.) International students in F-1 or J-1 status considering changes to their class schedules that result in less-than-full-time enrollment (fewer than nine (9) credits) must see an advisor in International Student and Faculty Services before processing the changes.


You may add a class via My OHIO Student Center only through the Friday of the first week of the semester or session. However, please note that departments or individual instructors may close registration for their courses prior to the official deadlines. For classes requiring the instructor’s permission, you will need to request permission from the instructor or departmental/school representative.  You may add a class for which you have not met the requisite only by receiving the instructor’s permission to take the class. Class permission requests are initiated through the regular online registration system. You must attempt to register in a class via the My OHIO Student Center before a “Request Permission” link appears. In most cases, it is advisable to contact the instructor before requesting permission to register in a class that you cannot otherwise get into. 

After the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of the session), your schedule becomes official. Your final tuition charges are based on your enrollment as of the deadline.


You may use My OHIO Student Center to drop any class except your last class (see “Canceling Registration or Withdrawing from the University” below) through the Friday of the second week of the 14-week semester or the Friday of the first week of the session. Classes dropped will not appear on the student’s academic record.

If you drop hours through the Friday of the second week of a semester (Friday of the first week of a session), you are entitled to a 100 percent refund of the reduction if the change results in a reduction of registration fees, provided you are not dropping all hours (see “Canceling Registration or Withdrawing from the University” below). Changes made after the deadlines will not reduce tuition and fees. If you are receiving financial aid, a change in enrollment status might result in your having to repay programs from which you received aid. (See Refund of Fees in the Fees section for more information.)


You may use My OHIO Student Center to withdraw from any class except your last class (see “Canceling Registration or Withdrawing from the University” below) after the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of a session) and through the Friday of the tenth week of the semester (last instructional day of the fifth week of the session). However, the classes remain on your academic records with grades of WP (Withdrawn Passing), WF (Withdrawn Failing), or WN (Withdrawn Never Attended), and they continue to be used in the calculation of tuition and fees. WP, WF, or WN grades do not affect the student’s grade point average.

After the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of a session), your schedule becomes official. Your final tuition charges are based on your enrollment as of the deadline. If you withdraw from the University or reduce your course load after the deadline, you must still pay the full tuition fees, and your classes will remain on your academic record with WP, WF, or WN grades.

Dropping or withdrawing from a class is prohibited after these deadlines, but under very exceptional circumstances, you may petition your college in writing to make an exception. Your reason must be substantial. Fear of earning a low grade in the class is not considered to be an exceptional circumstance.

Only in extreme instances, in which circumstances beyond your control make you unable to have your registration in order by the end of the Friday of the second week (or Friday of the first week) of the semester/session deadline, will the University consider making an exception to this policy. Even then, such decisions are made by a review panel and require that formal documentation, such as a doctor’s statement, be submitted to the Tuition Appeal Review Panel. The Graduate College can help you present an appeal to the review panel.

Canceling or Withdrawing (Dropping All Classes)

Top ^

Cancellation Before Classes Have Begun. Cancellation of registration is defined as dropping all classes before the first day of classes. This includes all classes for which you are registered on all (one or more) campuses. You may cancel your registration by accessing My OHIO Student Center, or you may call or visit the Graduate College to obtain a cancellation of registration form, which you then complete and return to the Graduate College. An adjustment of your tuition and fees is made according to the schedule in the “Refund of Fees” section. International students in F–1 or J–1 status must see an advisor in International Student and Faculty Services before canceling their registration or withdrawing from the University.

Withdrawing After Classes Have Begun. Withdrawing is defined as dropping all classes on or after the first day of classes and no later than the day before the last day of classes for the semester or session. Note: This includes all regular Ohio University classes for which a student is registered for a given term, whether on one campus or more than one. This does not prevent a student from registering for a future term. Withdrawal is not permitted on or after the last day of classes. You cannot withdraw from the University using My OHIO Student Center. Contact the Graduate College to complete the Request for Withdrawal Form. When the request has been approved by the Graduate College, your withdrawal request is processed by the Office of the University Registrar, which grants an official withdrawal after determining that all obligations to the University have been met. International students in F–1 or J–1 status must see an advisor in International Student and Faculty Services before canceling their registration or withdrawing from the University.

Withdrawal between the first day of classes and the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of a session) results in an 80 percent tuition and fees reduction.

Medical Withdrawal. A withdrawal for medical reasons may result in a medical hold being placed on your records. If a hold is placed, to re-enroll you will have to request clearance from the Dean of Students. When the clearance is approved, the hold will be released.

Multiple Consecutive Withdrawals. Two or more consecutive withdrawals may be cause for placement of a registration hold on your record by the registrar or your academic dean. A petition to release this hold would be considered by your academic dean.

Military and Military-Affiliated Students Affected by Deployment or Permanent Change of Station. When a student, or the parent, spouse, or partner of a student is called to active military duty, or receives a short-notice PCS assignment, it often is not possible for the military or military-affiliated student to have anticipated the effect this has on their enrollment status. Therefore, faculty and staff are encouraged to be as flexible as possible with the students who wish to make arrangements to complete coursework for credit. Please see Policy 12.060 for available options.

Withdrawing from the University. If you wish to withdraw from your academic program with no intention of returning, you must notify the program and the Graduate College in writing. Students who fail to register for classes for multiple consecutive terms are considered inactive. An inactive degree or certificate student may need to obtain permission from their academic program before they are allowed to re-enroll in the degree or certificate program.

Leave of Absence Policy

Top ^

Students enrolled in a degree program who do not expect to make progress toward their degree for a period of time must notify their program that they intend to take a leave of absence for up to one year. Leaves of absence may have more restrictive guidelines in some programs; consult your school or college document. Students on a declared leave of absence are understood to not be actively working on any degree components and may not make use of university resources and services or engage in significant consultation with the faculty. 

To declare a leave of absence, a student shall submit to the departmental graduate chair or director of graduate studies a written request stating the expected duration of the leave. Leaves of absence must be declared prior to the start of the effective term of the leave. Departments should have in place a plan to address any incompletes at the time leave is undertaken. Official leaves will be documented for the student in writing, with a copy forwarded to the college office and the Graduate College for recording in the student’s file. 

It is the responsibility of the student to resolve all issues pertaining to financial support, federal financial aid, and any outstanding debt to the University prior to a leave of absence. Prior to the completion of the leave of absence, the student must notify the departmental graduate chair or director of graduate studies so that the reentry process can be initiated. 

A leave of absence does not automatically extend the time limit for completion of a degree. For limits and extension procedures, see the degree time limit for master’s and doctoral degrees in the Degree Requirements  section of this catalog. Consult your program for possible extensions of internal milestones or other requirements. 

A student who does not return and register in the degree program at the conclusion of an approved leave of absence is considered inactive in the program and must then apply for re-enrollment as well complete any retroactive enrollment required under the Continuous Enrollment policy in order to return. 

International students in F-1 or J-1 nonimmigrant status must also obtain authorization from International Student and Scholar Services prior to the initiation of a leave of absence and before returning to campus to ensure compliance with current SEVIS regulations and visa restrictions. 

Declaration of a leave of absence will ensure that your academic program is aware of your plans. It also provides confirmation for third parties of your status as a student on an approved leave. 

Parental Paid Leave of Absence Policy

The policy provides eligible, funded graduate students the ability to take up to a six-week leave of absence from their appointment responsibilities, and receive 100 percent of the stipend and other benefits associated with their appointment, for the birth or adoption of a child. Eligibility requirements, process, request form, and the full policy are listed at https://www.ohio.edu/graduate/current-students/parental-paid-leave-absence-policy.

Tuition and Fees

Top ^

Tuition and fees will automatically adjust when the class schedule is adjusted. Tuition and fees will not reduce for classes dropped after the stated drop deadline (refer to the Academic Calendar for drop deadlines.

Your change in enrollment status might affect financial aid eligibility. See the Financial Aid  section of this catalog for further information.

Tuition Appeals

A student who withdraws during the semester may be eligible, and may petition for a tuition adjustment, if exceptional circumstances exist. You should consult with the Graduate College to determine if you may be eligible for a tuition adjustment. To request an adjustment, you must complete a Tuition Appeal form and, in the case of a withdrawal for medical reasons, have your physician or other service provider complete the Medical Documentation form. A tuition/fee adjustment, if approved, will be based on the information you submitted with the Tuition Appeal form and your class attendance record.

Completed tuition appeals and, if applicable, medical documentation forms should be submitted to the Graduate College. Additional information and forms required for the tuition appeal are available online.

Grading Information

Top ^

At the close of a semester/session or upon completion of a class, the instructor reports a final grade indicating the quality of a student’s work in the class. Deadlines for grade submission are distributed by the University Registrar. Once grades are submitted to the University Registrar, they are final and cannot be changed unless evidence of an error can be presented or a formal grade appeal process is completed in accordance with Ohio University’s official grade appeal policy (see “Grade Appeals” below). Grades cannot be changed by arranging to complete additional work.

Grade point values are assigned for each semester hour of credit completed according to the grading system below.

The basis for determining a student’s scholastic standing is the grade point average (GPA). This average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of semester hours of credit attempted. For example, if a student earned a C (2.0) and a B (3.0) in each of two three–hour courses, first multiply the number of hours in each course by the grade point value for that grade (3 x 2 = 6 and 3 x 3 = 9) and add the grade points for each course together to find the total number of grade points (15). Then add the number of hours attempted (3 + 3 = 6) and divide the total number of grade points by the total hours attempted (15/6 = 2.5). The student’s GPA after completing the two classes would be 2.5. A student’s GPA is figured only on credit hours attempted—courses for which the student receives letter grades (A–F), FN (failure, never attended), or FS (failure, stopped attending). FN and FS have the same value as an F. Grades of CR (credit) represent hours earned and grades of PR represent hours in progress. Neither CR nor PR are used to calculate a GPA. Only graduate-level courses (5000 and higher) are used to calculate the graduate GPA.

A course for which a grade has been assigned by a faculty member will not be removed from the student’s academic record without approval of the University Review Panel and the instructor (see Policy 12.050, “Canceling Registration, Dropping Classes, and Withdrawing” and the Faculty Handbook).

Graduate-level courses (5000 and higher) may not be taken under the pass/fail option.

Transfer Credit for Graduate Degrees

For transfer credit eligibility please see the section on transfer credit in the Degree and Certificate requirements  in this catalog.  

Master’s degrees

Programs of 30 hours may transfer at most eight (8) semester credit hours. Programs longer than 30 hours may transfer no more than 25 percent of the total graded coursework requirements for the degree.

Doctoral degrees

Doctoral students may transfer a limited number of credit hours, subject to the eligibility requirements above and approval by their individual program and college dean. The maximum number of hours eligible for transfer may be no more than one-fourth of the total graded coursework requirements for the degree.

Exceptions to this policy may be made by the Dean of the Graduate College upon the recommendation of the student’s department chair or graduate program director and the associate dean of the student’s college.


Certificate programs of 12 hours or fewer may transfer a maximum of one course (up to 4 credit hours). Certificate programs longer than 12 hours may transfer no more than 25 percent of the total graded coursework requirements.

Repeating a Course

Repeating a course is to complete a course more than once for credit. This can be done only with repeatable courses, which are designed to be taken multiple times (e.g., thesis credits 6950, dissertation credits 8950). The policy on second and subsequent course attempts does not apply to repeatable courses. Some departments place a limit on the total number of credits that may be earned or counted toward degree requirements in a given repeatable course.

Second and Subsequent Course Attempts

Students may not take a graduate-level course more than once if the prior attempt has met degree requirements. In the event that a graduate student must take a class again to achieve a sufficient grade for a graduate program, the previous grade stays on the transcript and in the GPA calculation. Non-repeatable graduate courses will earn credit only once. All course attempts and grades appear on the permanent academic record (transcript) and are calculated in the graduate GPA.

Please note that the official university grade policy on FN and FS grades (below) describes only undergraduate course retakes, not second attempts in graduate courses. Any FN or FS earned in a graduate course will be used in GPA calculations even if the course is taken a second time.

Grades Used in Graduate GPA Calculation

This table represents grades and grading policies applicable to graduate-level courses and graduate GPA calculation.

Letter Grade

Numerical Equivalent


Assigned by Faculty Member



















Minimally Acceptable




Minimally Acceptable




Minimally Acceptable




Not Acceptable




Not Acceptable




Not Acceptable




Not Acceptable








Failure, Never Attended. This grade is given when the student does not officially drop a class for which he or she is officially registered but did not attend. FN counts as an F in the GPA. Taking a graduate course a second or subsequent time will not replace the FN grade for purposes of GPA calculation.




Failure, Stopped Attending. This grade is given when the student stops attending but does not officially drop a course for which he or she officially registered and attended at least once. It counts as an F in the GPA. In addition, the last date of attendance indicated is recorded on the student’s academic record. Taking a graduate course a second or subsequent time will not replace the FN grade for purposes of GPA calculation.




Administrative Incomplete. Calculated as “F.” Student either did not attend or stopped attending without officially withdrawing. Replaced with FN and FS fall 1998–99

Yes – Inactive

Credit Only - Included in Hours Earned but Not Used in GPA Calculation

Letter Grade

Numerical Equivalent


Assigned by Faculty Member



Credit. A report of credit may be made for certain preapproved courses. Credit is to be used primarily for graduate–level courses. Some colleges may limit the number of CRs applied to major and degree requirements.



Satisfactory. Same Value as “CR” grade. Became inactive Fall 1967–68.




Transfer Credit. Credit transferred with a grade of B or better.


No Credit Grades - Not Included in Hours Earned and Not Used in GPA Calculation

Letter Grade

Numerical Equivalent


Assigned by Faculty Member



Audit. Indicates formal participation in a class, but not for credit or a regular grade. The student who registers for an audit is expected to attend and participate in the class according to the instructor’s policy. Failing to do so can result in removal of the Audit from the record. (If this action results in a change of fees, the University policy on refund of registration fees will apply.) Audited classes are calculated in the tuition fees.




Incomplete. Receiving an “I” means that the student has not completed the work required for a regular grade. The student must have the instructor’s permission to receive the Incomplete. The student must complete the work within the first two weeks of his or her next semester of enrollment or two years from the end of the term in which the grade of “I” was given, whichever comes first, or the “I” converts automatically to an “F.” The instructor may at his or her discretion submit a change of grade request to the Office of the University Registrar. When the student applies for graduation, any Incompletes on the record will be calculated as “F” grades for the purpose of determining eligibility for graduation and will be converted to “F” upon graduation.




No Credit. NC grades are submitted by faculty to indicate non–passing performance by students in courses in the Ohio Program of Intensive English (OPIE).

No – except for OPIE



No Report. This grade is assigned when:
1) The instructor does not report the grade;
2) The instructor reports the grade too late for semester grade processing; or
3) The instructor reports an ineligible grade for the grade eligibility code of the course.





Progress. This grade indicates that the student has made progress in the course but has not finished the work required for a letter grade. It may extend longer than one semester.




Withdrawn Passing. This grade designates classes dropped after the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of a session). (Prior to Fall Semester 2012-13, this grade designated classes dropped after the 15th day.) It indicates that the student was passing at the time of withdrawal. Effective fall semester 2017-18, the last known date of participation will be recorded on the student’s academic record.




Withdrawn Failing. This grade designates classes dropped after the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of a session). (Prior to Fall Semester 2012-13, this grade designated classes dropped after the 15th day.) It indicates that the student was failing at the time of withdrawal. Effective fall semester 2017-18, the last known date of participation will be recorded on the student’s academic record.




Withdrawn Never Attended. This grade designates classes dropped after the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of a session). It indicates that the student never attended or participated in the class. Effective fall semester 2017-18.



You can register to audit classes, which allows you to preview or review courses without receiving a grade or credit hours. Classes taken for audit count in calculating tuition, but they do not carry credit or count toward financial aid eligibility. Audited courses will not count toward any graduation requirements and do not fulfill registration requirements for graduate appointments.

Your instructor may set up specific requirements for auditing a course, and if you do not meet the requirements, you may be removed from the class, at the instructor’s discretion, with a grade of WP, WF, or WN. Be sure to discuss your auditing status with the instructor at the first class meeting.

A student interested in taking a class under the audit grading option should register for the class, then contact the Graduate College (by the Friday of the second week of the semester) to request that a course be taken for audit. A regular grade course may NOT be changed to audit option and audit course may NOT be changed to regular grade option after the Friday of the second week of the semester (Friday of the first week of the session; dates may vary for classes that do not meet for a standard 14-  or 7- week term).

Grade Appeals

The instructor assigned to a class has full responsibility for grading, subject to the appeal process described in this section. In unusual circumstances (e.g., death, incapacity, or indefinite accessibility of the instructor), the department chair (or school director) is responsible for the final grade, subject to appeal by the student to the dean of the college as described in this section. Students are encouraged to initiate grade appeals immediately after receiving notice of the letter grade. Final grade appeals must be initiated no later than 15 business days from the beginning of the fall or spring semester immediately following assignment of the final grade.

A student  appealing a grade must make a concerted effort to resolve the matter with the instructor of the course. Failing such a resolution, the student may appeal the grade to the department chair. The chair must attempt a resolution acceptable to both the student and the instructor but does not have the authority to change the grade. The department chair may enlist departmental grievance procedures to assist in resolving the grade appeal at the departmental level. If the resolution at the departmental level is unsuccessful within the semester following submission of the grade and the student wishes to appeal, the chair shall forward the appeal to the dean of the college or action. If the chair is the instructor, the student appeals directly to the dean.

In cases not involving academic misconduct, the burden of proof for a grade change is on the student. If the dean concludes that the student has insufficient grounds for an appeal, there can be no further appeal by the student. If the dean concludes that sufficient grounds do exist for an appeal, the dean shall appoint a faculty committee of five members to consider the case. If a majority on the committee decide that the grade should be changed and the instructor does not accept the recommendation, the committee can authorize the university registrar to change the grade. The decision of the committee is not subject to further appeal. In appeal cases in dean is the instructor, the role of dean will be assumed by the Provost. In those appeal cases involving courses taught by faculty from more than one college, the Dean of the Graduate College will review the appeal and, if necessary, appoint the appeals committee.

In cases of academic misconduct, both the student and instructor must document their allegations and refutations in writing, including any supporting material (e.g., copies of the student’s work, copies of other materials used but not referenced in the student’s work, etc.) relevant to the case.  Such written evidence will be reviewed in accordance with the grade appeal process followed by the college or unit.

Complete information on the rights and responsibilities of students and faculty relative to grade appeals is available at the Office of the Ombudsperson (ombuds@ohio.edu), If you need assistance in understanding the grade appeals process or in preparing a grade appeal(s), contact the Ombudsperson, Baker University Center 501, 740.593.2627. The office will be of greatest assistance if you make contact early in the process.

Program Dismissal Appeals

A student may appeal dismissal from an academic program through the chairperson of the department to the associate dean of the academic college.

Standards of Work

Top ^

Graduate accumulative grade point average (GPA) includes all graduate courses taken at Ohio University. Conferral of a graduate degree or certificate requires an accumulative graduate GPA of at least a 3.0 – GPA cannot be “rounded up” to achieve a 3.0. No course with a grade below C (2.0) may be used to satisfy any graduate degree or certificate requirement. Taking a graduate-level course a second time does not remove or replace a grade from a previous attempt (see Grading Information).

Students taking courses in post-baccalaureate or non-degree status must adhere to the same standards of work as degree and certificate students. Note: undergraduate students taking graduate courses through OHIO Honors, departmental honors, or the Honors Tutorial College will have graduate courses count toward their undergraduate GPA unless they have applied for and received permission to take graduate courses for graduate credit.

Individual graduate programs, schools, departments, or academic colleges may establish standards more rigorous than those in this section. For example, programs may set minimum grade expectations for courses, or programs may consider academic progress based on work done as part of the active program exclusive of previous graduate work.

Academic Probation

If a student’s GPA falls below 3.0, they will be placed on academic probation for one semester. If their GPA is still below 3.0 at the end of their probationary semester, they will be dismissed from their current graduate program(s).


  • Students who have completed less than 9 credits of graded (A-F) coursework since entering a program will not be placed on academic probation in that program.
  • If a student on academic probation does not take any graded (A-F) coursework, then that semester will not count as their semester of probation.
  • A second semester of academic probation requires approval of the student’s school/department and academic college dean.
  • Any further extensions or exceptions require approval of the student’s school/department, their academic college dean, and the Graduate College.

Cancellation of Registration by Department

Your advisor or graduate chair, with the approval of the dean, may request that the Graduate College cancel your registration because of poor academic performance, failure to meet course prerequisites, falsified signatures, failure to provide final transcripts, or other violations of University policy.

Academic Misconduct

The Student Code of Conduct prohibits all forms of academic misconduct. Academic misconduct refers to dishonesty or deception in fulfilling academic requirements. Academic misconduct includes:

  • Cheating
  • Plagiarism
  • Unpermitted collaboration
  • Forged attendance (when attendance is required)
  • Misrepresentation of facts in order to gain an academic advantage
  • Fabrication (e.g., use of invented information or falsification of research or other findings)
  • Using textbooks, technology, or other materials not approved by the instructor
  • Knowingly permitting another student to plagiarize or cheat from one’s work
  • Submitting the same academic work for credit more than once unless specifically authorized by the instructor of record

Note: An instructor may impose a grade penalty for academic misconduct and/or file a student conduct referral.

In cases of academic misconduct, a faculty member has the authority to administer a failing grade. If an instructor who has accused you of plagiarism lowers your course grade, you may appeal this grade first through the instructor, then the department chair or school director, and then the dean of your college. In cases of academic misconduct both the student and teacher must document their allegations and refutations in writing, including any supporting material (e.g., copies of the student’s work, copies of other materials used but not referenced in the student’s work, etc.) relevant to the case. Such written evidence will be reviewed in accordance with the grade appeal process followed by the college or unit.

The faculty member also has the discretion to refer your case to the director of the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility for resolution under the Student Code of Conduct. A student or student organization found to have violated the academic misconduct offense will be subject to the full range of sanctions including reprimand, disciplinary probation, suspension, or expulsion from Ohio University.

Please note that the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility does not have the authority to modify a grade given by an instructor.

If you wish to appeal the decision of the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility, such as suspension or expulsion, you can request that the matter be reviewed by the university appeal board. Details of appeal procedures are included in the Student Code of Conduct online at https://www.ohio.edu/communitystandards/.

Further information on academic misconduct is available from the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility.

Degree Revocation

Academic honesty is a core value of Ohio University. Degrees awarded may be revoked by the President of Ohio University in accordance with Ohio University’s policies and procedures.

Classroom Policies

Top ^

Class Attendance Policy

The weight given to class attendance in determining your grade is an academic matter; thus, all instructors are responsible for their own attendance policies. Although your instructor will state specific attendance requirements during the first week of classes each semester, the University does expect you to attend and participate in classes regularly.

Excused Absences. Although instructors’ policies govern how excused absences will be handled in their classes, certain absences are considered legitimate by the University. These include illness, death in the immediate family, religious observance, jury duty, and involvement in University-sponsored activities.

If you are returning to class after a legitimate absence, you can expect your instructors’ assistance (makeup work, excused absences, recalculation of the student’s grade based on remaining work) within the limits of their established attendance policies. There are occasions when the size or the nature of the course makes it necessary to limit the number of excused absences or the availability of makeup work, particularly for examinations or such special events as field trips or outside speakers. Such limitations should be explained in the instructor’s attendance policy at the beginning of each course. If you are involved in University activities that may conflict with your class schedule, check with your instructor as early as possible to make satisfactory arrangements. You may document reasons for your absence as follows:

If you are participating in an authorized University activity (departmental trip, music or debate activity, ROTC function, or athletic competition), you can obtain notification from the sponsoring office.  If you are in the military reserves and reserve training (including reasonable travel time to training locations) may fall upon class days, a letter from the commander of your military reserve unit showing the date of the absence and the reason for it will serve as prior notification. If you visit OhioHealth O’Bleness Memorial Hospital, Ohio University Campus Care, or other health care facilities, you can ask for and receive official notification to verify to your instructors that you have visited these health care centers on a specific day. However, it is your responsibility to request and obtain such notification. It is assumed that, whenever possible, you will visit the health service as an outpatient without missing class.  

If your grade has been affected by a legitimate absence or absences that your instructor does not excuse, you may appeal through the normal grade appeal process (first through the instructor, then the department chair or school director, and then the dean of your college). If satisfaction is not achieved through this process, the dean may appoint a faculty committee of five members, including the chair or director of the department or school in question, to consider your case and render a decision. The decision of this committee is not subject to further appeal.

Dropping Nonattending Students. If you miss the first two meetings of a class where the meetings are fewer than 80 minutes or the first meeting of a class where the meeting is 80 minutes or longer, the instructor has the option of not admitting you to the class whether or not you are registered for it. If you miss the first two meetings (or first meeting if 80 minutes or longer), check with your instructor to verify your status in the class. If you have not been admitted, you will need to drop the class by accessing My OHIO Student Center.

Note: If the instructor does not admit you to the class, you still must drop the class from your schedule by accessing My OHIO Student Center. Otherwise, you will receive an F, an FN (failure never attended), or an FS (failure stopped attending) for the class at the end of the semester. FN and FS grades count in your GPA the same as F grades (0.0 grade points).


You must be a registered student to attend classes at Ohio University. If you are a full-time student, you also have the privilege of visiting classes for which you have not registered specifically if you obtain the instructor’s permission ahead of time.

Classroom Privacy

Observation and evaluation of any classroom (including online) by any observer or evaluator requires prior notification and mutual agreement of the class instructor and the observer or evaluator and notification of all students in the class.

Recording of classroom activities by any electronic means, by students, other faculty, University administrators, or others, requires permission of the instructor. All students in a class must be informed if permission has been given for a class to be recorded.

Intellectual Property Policy

Top ^

The University intellectual property policy is defined by Ohio University Policy and Procedure 17.001. In accordance with state law (Section 3345.44, Ohio Revised Code), patentable inventions created by Ohio University faculty, staff, and students are the property of the University if the work was supported by University funds or performed in University controlled facilities. Computer software and databases are the property of the University if created as part of University- assigned duties. The policy provides for a generous sharing of any royalties among the inventors and the relevant University units, departments, and colleges. Students are encouraged to read the complete policy and procedures or contact the Technology Transfer Office, 340 West State Street, 740-593-1778.

Research Compliance

Top ^

All research must be conducted within existing institutional, state, and federal regulations and protocols. The Office of Research Compliance is the central point of contact for researchers seeking assistance with research regulation issues. The Office provides training opportunities on research compliance topics. 

Research Using Human Subjects

Any research - including masters and doctoral projects - that calls for participation by people must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) before the project can begin. All researchers who conduct human subjects research must complete required CITI training. More information is found on the Office of Research Compliance webpage at https://www.ohio.edu/research/compliance/human-subjects.

The investigator in any research involving human subjects at Ohio University is expected to conduct any and all such experiments in compliance with Ohio University Policy and Procedure 19.052.

In summary, this policy applies to research investigations involving human subjects conducted by faculty, staff, or students at or under the auspices of Ohio University. Studies that require review include everything from clinical trials to surveys, interviews, and observation.

The purpose of the policy is to protect the rights and personal privacy of individuals, to assure a favorable climate for the conduct of scientific inquiry, and to protect the interests of Ohio University. Ohio University’s policy on research involving human subjects is in compliance with the requirements set forth in the National Research Act (P.L. 93-348) and the regulations on public welfare set forth in Part 46 of Title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations (45 CFR 46).

Harassment Policy

Top ^

Ohio University recognizes the human dignity of each member of the Ohio University community and believes each member has a responsibility to promote respect and dignity for others. The University strives to foster an academic, work and living environment that is free from harassment. The University’s goal is to provide an environment where students, faculty, and staff can thrive, and that is welcoming, and free of fear.

Ohio University will make its educational programs and employment opportunities equitably available to students and employees without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, or veteran status. Harassment is a form of discrimination and, therefore, harassment directed toward an individual or group, or experienced by an individual or group, violates this policy.

Harassment is defined as any conduct directed toward an individual or group based on one or more of the categories listed above and severe enough so as to deny or limit a person’s ability to participate in or fully benefit from the University’s educational and employment environments, or activities, or severe enough that it creates an intimidating, offensive, or hostile environment.

For more information about Ohio University’s policies prohibiting discrimination and sexual harassment, and for a description of Ohio University’s grievance procedures, please visit the Web page for the Office for Institutional Equity at https://www.ohio.edu/equity-civil-rights/.

Professional Ethics in the Discipline 

Some programs may be affiliated with professional organizations that have established ethical standards for their respective disciplines. In these cases, programs may require student compliance with applicable elements from the professional ethics guidelines as program specific requirements. Failure to comply with the ethical guidelines provided by the program may result in discipline up to and including academic dismissal from the program. The determination and appeal process for an alleged ethics violation will follow the respective college’s internal professional ethics committee process. 

OHIO Identification Card

Top ^

This card, which is validated by your registration, gives you access to campus services, including library privileges, Campus Care, meal plans, bobcat cash account, recreation facilities, athletic events, and other campus programs and services. For more information on the card and the services it provides, see https://www.ohio.edu/oit/services/accounts/id-cards. On the Athens campus, ID cards can be obtained and replaced at the Bobcat Depot, Baker University Center 112. Each regional campus also has a designated site for issuing ID cards – check with the regional campus for details.  

The initial card is issued free of charge. Replacement of lost or damaged cards will be subject to a replacement fee. A re-enrolling student who was previously issued an ID card will be charged a lost card fee, if a new card is required due to loss of the original card.

Lost cards should be deactivated immediately by using the eAccounts system to ensure the lost card is not used to access your residence hall, meal plan, or debit accounts. Information on deactivating a lost card and obtaining a replacement can be found by logging into your eAccount.

Cards that need to be reissued due to a change in legal name, preferred name, or PID number will be issued free of charge, provided you return your old card when the new one is issued.

Ohio University ID card replacement fees are:

  • Lost or stolen card: $12
  • Replacement of damaged card: $5
    (subject to change without notice)

Ohio University Email Account

Top ^

Ohio University conducts official business through your University e-mail account. Check your Catmail account regularly for official University correspondence. Notifications of grades, schedules, and billings are sent to your University email address. Many Ohio University departments and professors depend on your University email for both announcements and assignments. We do not recommend forwarding your University email account.

To learn more, visit www.ohio.edu/email.

If you have problems accessing your email or have questions, call the OIT Service Desk at 740.593.1222 or submit a request online at https://www.ohio.edu/oit/help/.

Student Records Information

Top ^

Updating Personal Information

You must report any changes in your personal data to the Office of the University Registrar. This includes changes in name, Social Security number, and birth date. Requests for changes/corrections in name, Social Security number, or birth date must be accompanied by documentation verifying the correct information as required by the registrar’s office. These requests should be sent to Registrar Services. This can be completed in person; by mail, Office of the University Registrar, Ohio University, 115 Chubb Hall, Athens OH 45701; or by fax 740.593.0216.

Address, telephone number, cell phone number, and emergency contact information can be updated online by accessing My OHIO Student Center (which may be accessed from My OHIO portal - Academics tab).

Preferred name and pronoun(s) may be reported and updated online by accessing MyOHIO Student Center. Your preferred name will be used in lieu of your legal name wherever the legal name is not required. For example, your preferred name will be used in Blackboard, on faculty class rosters, on DARS, on advisee lists, and in the online directory. For more information, please visit https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/preferred-names-faq. Your preferred pronoun(s) may be reported so others do not need to make assumptions about your gender identity.

NOTE: International students in F–1 or J–1 status are required to use My OHIO Student Center to update their addresses with Ohio University to meet immigration reporting requirements. For details, contact the Office of International Student and Faculty Services (ISFS), (740) 593-4330.

International students admitted to Ohio University with F-1 or J-1 visa status are required to update their addresses through their My OHIO portal to meet immigration reporting requirements.

International students holding Graduate Appointments must report official Social Security numbers to University Payroll as soon as the number is assigned.

Please note that, as a student, if you provide the University with a cell phone number (public or private) and you are an Athens campus student, you will be subscribed automatically to the emergency communication system. Athens campus students should watch their emails for additional information, including how to opt out. If you are a regional campus student, please check with your regional campus student services office for available signup for emergency communications.

Students Records Policy

Consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), all of Ohio University’s policies and practices governing the collection, maintenance, review, and release of student records will be based upon the principles of confidentiality and your individual right to privacy. The specific policy can be found online at https://www.ohio.edu/policy/12-020.

Obtaining Transcripts

Students can order official transcripts in one of these types:

  1. Comprehensive transcript, showing all coursework and degrees at Ohio University
  2. Undergraduate coursework and all degrees
  3. Graduate coursework and all degrees
  4. Medical coursework and all degrees

There is a fee charged for each requested transcript. Transcripts can be ordered online, by mail with a signed letter of request including payment by check or credit card, by signed FAX with payment by credit card, or in person at the Office of the Bursar. The student is required to provide his/her signature authorizing release of his/her transcript. To find out more about the various processing, application, and delivery options available and to obtain a transcript request form, go to the registrar’s Web site at https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/transcripts, visit Registrar Services, 1st floor, Chubb Hall, call the Registrar’s office, 740.593.4206, or send email to transcripts@ohio.edu.

Replacement of Diploma

To obtain a replacement diploma, provide a notarized affidavit attesting that the original diploma has been lost or destroyed, or verification of a name change, to the registrar’s office along with a request for a new diploma. In the case of a name change, you also must return the original diploma. Instructions for verifying a name change are available from the registrar’s office. There is a replacement fee. Visit https://www.ohio.edu/registrar/replacement-diploma for more details.

Official Notifications for Students

Top ^

Various state and federal laws require Ohio University to provide information and notice to students on a variety of topics. In addition, Ohio University occasionally develops statements or policies on important matters and distributes them to all students. Below is a listing of official notifications that are currently provided to students.

Notices on these topics are provided via email to all registered students as of the deadline for registration in each academic semester. Email is sent to each student’s official University email address. These notices are routinely available at the University’s website at https://www.ohio.edu/student-affairs/students/notifications.

Further, it is a student’s responsibility to know and follow current requirements and procedures at the department, school, college, and University levels, including those described in the University’s Undergraduate Catalog, Graduate Catalog, Student Housing Handbook, and University Policy and Procedures. All students are subject to the rules of behavior as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.

  • Student Code of Conduct
  • Sexual Misconduct Policy
  • Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence, and Stalking Process and Procedures
  • Statement on Sexual Assault
  • University Regulations Regarding Concealed Gun Law
  • Consequences for Involvement in Civil Disturbance
  • Graduation/Transfer–Out Rates (Student Right to Know Act of 1990)
  • Crime Awareness and Campus Security (Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act)
  • Drugs and Alcohol (Drug–Free School and Community Act of 1989)
  • Convictions for Certain Riot–related and Sexual Assault Offenses (Ohio House Bill 95)
  • Campus Disruption (Ohio House Bill 1219)
  • Voter Registration (Voter Registration Provision in Higher Education Amendments of 1998)
  • Student Privacy (The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 or FERPA)
  • Copyright Infringement and the Internet
  • Emergency Closing of the University
  • Title IX Grievance Procedures
  • Emergency Text Messaging System
  • Medical Emergency Assistance Program
  • Letter from Dean of Students: Expectations Regarding Alcohol

Questions regarding notifications can be addressed to:

Office of the Dean of Students
Baker University Center 345

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search