Jul 25, 2021
EDEC 3400 - Teaching Science in Early Childhood P-3
This course is designed to prepare early childhood teacher candidates with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions that provide the foundation for effective science teaching. It develops teacher candidates’ abilities to design inclusive and culturally responsive learning environments based on current perspectives about student learning and using evidence-based strategies for teaching and assessment. It also emphasizes scientific inquiry, core ideas, and cross-cutting concepts as recommended by the Ohio Learning Standards for Science and the Next Generation Science Standards.
Requisites: Advanced Standing and EDEC 3002 or EDEC 3003 concurrent
Credit Hours: 3
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will be able to design and implement standards-based, integrated, inclusive, and safe science learning experiences for all P-3 learners.
- Students will be able to apply their understanding of the Nature of Science, inquiry, science and engineering practices, and other scientific frameworks in a variety of in-class and field-based activities.
- Students will be able to analyze and reflect upon teaching episodes to identify areas of strength and weakness and opportunities for improving teaching practice.
- Students will be able to analyze and interpret student learning using evidence collected through an array of contemporary formative and summative assessments.
- Students will be able to choose and reference appropriate Ohio Learning Standards for Science and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Students will be able to demonstrate the skills and dispositions reflected in the standards of the National Science Teachers Association, the Ohio Standards for the Teaching Profession, and the Patton College of Education.
- Students will be able to select and utilize appropriate technology, online resources, and community resources to support planning, teaching, and assessment in science education.
- Students will be able to describe the role of the early childhood classroom teacher as facilitator for scientific learning and practitioner of interdisciplinary teaching and learning.
- Students will be able to relate the role of the early childhood classroom teacher to that of responsible and collaborative member of the school and scientific community and promoter of science in the local and global community.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)