Mar 22, 2023
AAS 1500 - Africana Media Studies
Africana Media Studies is an introduction to the Africana experience (primarily in the U.S) through media. This course is designed to enable scholars the opportunity to explore, critique and understand images, stereotypes, myths and counter-imaging of the Africana experience.
Contemporary as well as historic notions of race, class and gender through the prism of media will be examined.
In the exploration of these various themes attention will be paid to the social, political, and economic contexts that have shaped the media. The media includes, though not limited to radio, television, film, newspapers and the internet.
This course will attempt to include all aspects of the media to facilitate the examination of the Africana experience. However primary attention will be given to television, film and radio. The course will follow a loose chronological approach from early media to contemporary media. While the primary focus is on Africana media it does not preclude discourse on other related media studies issues, it is however the emphasis for this course.
Credit Hours: 4
OHIO BRICKS Pillar: Humanities: Text and Contexts
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 2HL
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 4.0 lecture, 3.0 discussion
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: OTM course: TMAH Arts & Humanities
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- To generate greater awareness of the discipline of Africana Studies.
- To increase awareness of gender, race & class constructs in mass media.
- To offer solutions for greater media diversity (in its many forms) content.
- To understand forms and uses of textual analysis in media studies.
- To understand how political and social forces shape media.
- To understand media as a political tool in an Africana Studies context.
- To understand the history of Africana participation in mass media.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)