May 29, 2023
CHEM 1210 - Principles of Chemistry I
Introduction to chemistry through study of atomic and molecular structure, periodic table, states of matter gases, solutions, energy changes, acids, bases, equilibrium, and nuclear chemistry.
Requisites: ((C or better in MATH D004 or MATH D005) or Math placement level 1 or higher) and WARNING: No credit for this course if the following is taken: CHEM 1510
Credit Hours: 4
OHIO BRICKS Pillar: Natural Sciences
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 2NS
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture, 3.0 laboratory
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: OTM course: TMNS Natural Sciences
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Balance chemical equations.
- Calculate amounts of chemicals involved in reactions using elementary stoichiometry-based calculations.
- Calculate and utilize solution concentration units such as molarity.
- Perform mathematical manipulations such as unit analysis with attention to units and proper number of significant figures.
- Understand the basic concept of acids and bases.
- Understand the basic concept of equilibrium and perform basic calculations.
- Understand the basic model of the atom.
- Understand the general and physical properties of matter.
- Understand the ideal gas law and its application in quantitative problems.
- Use the concept of the mole in quantitative chemical calculations.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)