May 28, 2023
IHS 2220 - Cultural Competency in Interprofessional Health Care
This course focuses on ways in which the practice of the interprofessional health care team can enhance cultural competency in a health care environment. Cultural competency is approached from the standpoint and perspective of the individuals on the healthcare team as well as the team culture. Cultural competency is also approached from the standpoint and perspective of the patient with respect to cultural diversity, perceptions, and beliefs with respect to health-related issues. This course meets the College of Health Sciences and Professions interprofessional (IPE) requirement.
Credit Hours: 3
OHIO BRICKS Foundations: Intercultural Explorations
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 2CP
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- ¿¿Students will be able to identify multiple perspectives and recognize their own cultural rules regarding health assessments, treatments, and utilization of services from the interprofessional team
- Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge of the importance of cultural humility in the process of optimizing patient care in interaction with health care professionals.
- Students will be able to describe factors involved in verbal and non-verbal communication with patients and health care collaborators who are from diverse cultures
- Students will be able to evaluate culturally appropriate interactions with patients, populations, and the health care team
- Students will be able to describe why the interprofessional team must reflect multi-cultural perspectives
- Students will be able to explain the complexities of the term ¿cultural competency¿
- Students will be able to describe the complexity of cultural elements important to members of another culture in order for the interprofessional team to design a collaborative plan of care
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)