Mar 01, 2024
FAR 1500 - Viewing the Arts
Integrates classroom and student life activities at the University by combining the OU Artist Series and major productions of the Schools of Music, Dance, Theater, Film, and Fine Art with a course dealing with characteristics of the medium and artistic concerns to promote cultural empathy.
Credit Hours: 3
OHIO BRICKS Foundations: Intercultural Explorations, Pillar: Humanities: Arts
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 2FA
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: OTM course: TMAH Arts & Humanities
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Students will employ principles, terminology, and methods from the disciplines of film, fine art and performing arts, including music, dance, theater.
- Students will be able to analyze, interpret, and/or evaluate primary works of artistic expression.
- Students will explain relationships among cultural and/or historical contexts and the arts.
- Students will be able to articulate insights about one¿s own cultural rules and biases by comparing different kinds of cultural production.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the complexity of elements important to members of other cultures in relation to its history, values, politics, communication styles, economy, or beliefs and practices through an engagement with glo
- Students will be able to interpret intercultural experience from their own and others¿ worldview and to act in a supportive manner that recognizes the feelings of another cultural group through discussion and journaling.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of cultural differences in verbal and non-verbal communication and to negotiate a shared understanding based on those differences through analyzing cultural production that is scripted as is common in
- Students will be able to ask complex questions of other cultures and to articulate answers to these questions that reflect multiple cultural perspectives through an understanding of the way that the arts have been used to articulate different cultures and
- Students will be able to initiate and develop interactions with culturally different others through the medium of film, fine arts and performing arts while suspending judgment in valuing his / her interactions with culturally different others.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)