The Gladys W. and David H. Patton College of Education and Human Services
Grover Center E160
Athens, OH 45701
Ann Paulins, contact person
The mission of the Department of Human and Consumer Sciences Education is to prepare individuals within a community of students, faculty, and professionals to advocate for consumer well-being. This is accomplished through the development of a life-long learning perspective that values mentoring, ethical leadership, social responsibility, and the ability to adapt to an ever changing diverse global environment. The vision is to be an internationally recognized community of socially responsible interdisciplinary programs focused on positive and creative learning environments that prepare students to be global leaders who are responsive to consumer needs in diverse communities.
Family and Consumer Sciences Education (BS6370)
Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development (BS6380)
Restaurant, Hotel and Tourism (BS6361)
Retail Merchandising and Fashion Product Development
Department-Level Requirements for Human and Consumer Sciences Education
The Deparment of Human and Consumer Sciences Education has no particular requirements beyond those of the College and the University. However, requirements differ considerably from program to program. Consult your adviser to ensure proper fulfillment of those requirements.
- Students will consider perspectives outside their own experiences to value their community and better understand society and culture promoting public good.
- Students will be able to synthesize historic and current events to creatively and critically analyze and solve contemporary problems to enhance consumer well-being in local, national, and global environments.
- Students will be able to appreciate, interpret and translate diverse perspectives to effectively communicate with and advocate for a variety of audiences.
- Students will learn how to identify individual strengths within diverse backgrounds and leverage them to enhance communities.
- Students will develop a sense of personal and social responsibility in their roles as life-long learners within their communities and professions.
- Students will be able to evaluate, adapt and respond to evolving industry and learning environments in a productive and professional manner.
- Students will respond, provide and reflect upon constructive feedback to achieve continuous improvement in personal and professional endeavors.
- Students will be able to effectively listen, speak, write, and create visual communication.
- Students will participate in experiential learning opportunities in- and outside the classroom.
- Students will establish and maintain professional relationships with faculty, peers, alumni, and industry leaders.