OHIO University Undergraduate Catalog 2019-20 [Archived Catalog]
Office Administration Technology Major (A.A.B.)
Major code AA5005
Office of Regional Higher Education
Ohio University Chillicothe
101 University Drive
Chillicothe, OH 45601
Allison White, contact person, firstname.lastname@example.org
or any regional campus student services office
Ohio University Chillicothe and Ohio University Southern offer a two-year program of study leading to an Associate in Applied Business in office administration technology. This program prepares you for employment in various office environments including positions such as an administrative assistant or an office manager. Courses emphasize the importance of computer literacy, technology, and communication skills. The OAT program features state-of-the-art computer labs as well as software applications and innovative teaching/learning methods that are reflective of the latest in technology. This program will prepare successful students to sit for Microsoft certification examinations and offers specialization courses in medical, legal, and business analysis.
Developmental courses in Math and English may be required (testing will determine level of entry). There are no other requirements beyond University admission requirements.
Change of Program Policy
No selective or limited admission requirements.
External Transfer Admission
No requirements beyond University admission requirements.
Opportunities Upon Graduation
Career opportunities in a variety of settings resulting from successful completion of this degree program include professions such as administrative assistant (medical, legal, or other), office supervisor/manager, customer service representative, bookkeeper/payroll clerk, accounting clerk, receptionist, business analyst, and desktop designer or publisher.
Students interested in pursuing baccalaureate degrees upon completion of this associate program might consider business administration, communications, graphic design, health services administration, specialized studies (business emphasis), B.S.A.M. (Bachelor of Science in Applied Management) or B.T.A.S. (Bachelor of Technical and Applied Studies).
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the office administration technology major, students will:
- Identify and apply indirect and direct communication skills and apply both oral and written methodologies.
- Define, interpret, apply, explain, infer, create, and evaluate business concepts using technology and software application skills necessary in today’s technology-driven business environment.
- Identify and apply consumer and business quantitative skills including mathematical and basic accounting principles and applications.
- Identify, apply, and illustrate administrative skills, procedures, and methodologies using them to create, plan, evaluate, and draw conclusions (e.g. clerical, customer service, interpersonal, time and stress management tools).
- Apply analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Define and apply skills necessary to examine and evaluate current organizational practices and institute improvements.
- Define ethical considerations for organizations and apply ethics in the workplace.
- Identify, apply, and explain leadership, managerial, and organizational roles and skills.
- Identify and apply general education knowledge gained in the university experience.