Degree Title and Name: Master of Music in Music History and Literature
Program Name and Number: Music History and Literature – MM5183
Department/Unit: School of Music
Delivery Mode: Athens campus
Term(s) of Entry: Fall and Spring
Program Overview: While emphasis in the program is on Historical Musicology, studies in contemporary music (20th and 21st centuries) include units in Ethnomusicology and world music. Contextual readings give cultural and aesthetic perspective, and emphasis on research and writing in music encourages creativity and publication on subjects of special interest to the student. The ultimate collective objective is to develop within the student a broad contextual knowledge within which oral and written discourse on specific issues at a high academic level is possible.
Expected time to degree is two years.
Program Learning Outcomes: In successfully pursuing Ohio University Master of Music degree, students will
- Develop advanced capacities to work independently and make effective artistic and intellectual judgments and professional decisions in the area of specialization.
- Demonstrate professional competence in the area of specialization before peers and faculty.
- Produce a final project or equivalent reviewed by more than one faculty member.
Link to Program: https://www.ohio.edu/fine-arts/music/graduate
Link to Program Handbook: https://www.ohio.edu/fine-arts/music/student-resources-materials
- A minimum of 30 credit hours is required.
- A thesis on a topic approved by the Graduate Chair and a committee from the Academic Area is required.
- The thesis must be defended before and approved by a committee from the Academic Area.
- The student must pass a comprehensive Oral Examination, separate from the thesis defense, given by a committee from the Academic Area.
- Reading facility in a foreign language, preferably German, is required.
Music History Core – 18 hours required
- MUS 6200 - History/Theory Seminar (2)
- MUS 6370 - Analysis of Music Notation (4)
- MUS 5280 - Jazz History (2)
- Select from MUS 6310, 20, 30, or 40 (8-12)
- Select from MUS 5210-16 (2)
Other Course Requirements
- Counterpoint (6) hours
- Reading in German or French (2) hours
- Electives (2) hours
- MUS - 6950 Thesis (2) hours
Culminating Experience: Students in this program complete a thesis and an oral exam.
Admission Requirements: The applicant must have completed an undergraduate degree in music with at least a 3.0 cumulative average. The GRE may be considered in evaluating the applicant’s academic record. Additionally, the applicant music submit a research paper of approximately 2000 words, in which musical style, composition, philosophical or aesthetic issues in Music History are discussed or described. A personal interview with a member of the Music History faculty is required.
International Students: This program permits full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 may be issued based on admission to this program.