Certificate Name and Number: Business Analytics Certificate – CTBACG
Department/Unit: Analytics and Information Systems
Delivery Mode: Online
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
Enrollment Eligibility: Current degree-seeking student or non-degree status
Expected time to complete degree: 2 to 3 semesters
The Business Analytics Certificate is designed to help career seeking or established working professionals to find careers within the domain of business analytics. The Business Analytics Certificate program will focus on applied applications of analytics within various business contexts. Within a business context, business professionals must possess a functional ability to summarize, interpret, and communicate insights discovered from data analysis. In today’s business environment, business professionals must develop technical skills to provide their organizations with valuable insight that can lead to better business decisions. The program will feature software that is commonly used within businesses today. In terms of analytical methodologies, students can explore various topics within descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics. In addition, students can also learn a variety of technical skills to manage and analyze data stored within databases.
The Business Analytics Certificate is structured to help students with no prior knowledge of business analytics. Furthermore, it is also designed for students without a background in probability and statistics or computer program. The program promotes those who are seeking a career in business analytics or for those who are working towards the completion of a master’s program.
The mission of the Business Analytics Certificate is to offer students from various backgrounds an alternative pathway to develop analytics skills that are highly sought after in today’s business environments. This program is ideal for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree, students currently seeking a master’s degree, or students who have completed a master’s degree.
Certificate Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Identify appropriate methods for analyzing data for a variety of business scenarios.
- Conduct an analysis by applying appropriate methods and techniques within software environments that are commonly used in business.
- Interpret and communicate the results of an analysis.
- Develop strategies that an organization could take in order to improve their competitive advantage through the analysis of data.
Opportunities upon Completion:
The Business Analytics Certificate provides students an ability to learn and apply analytic (i.e. descriptive, predictive, prescriptive) and database management skills within a variety of business environments. Upon completion, students will be prepared to find careers in business analytics, will achieve competitive advantage to progress within their career path, and will be prepared for further master’s degree coursework if desired. Students choosing MBA 6325 Prescriptive Analytics for their elective course will be prepared for roles related to a business analyst. Students choosing MBA 6395 Business Intelligence will also be prepared for roles involving database administration.
- Minimum semester hours: 9
- Thesis requirement: No
- Qualifying exam: No
- GPA in program: 3.0
- Required Classes: MBA 6320, MBA 6390
- Electives Classes: (Choose 1) MBA 6325, MBA 6395
Financial aid eligibility information:
- Non-degree-seeking students enrolled in this certificate are not eligible for federal financial aid.
- Current degree-seeking students may use federal financial aid only for 1) coursework fulfilling requirements of their degree, including required elective hours, or 2) coursework toward a second financial aid-eligible program.
- Students receiving federal financial aid may not take courses for this certificate unless they are also enrolled full-time (9 hours) in their degree program during the same academic term. Financial aid may be used for courses that count toward both degree requirements and the certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Official transcript(s)
- Current resume
- Online application with $35 fee
- No GRE or GMAT scores required
International applicants must also submit:
- TOEFL iBT score of 150 or IELTS of 7.5
- General academic credentials evaluation (ECE or WES report)
Transfer credits are not accepted for this program.
International Students: This certificate program does not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to this program.