Certificate Name and Number: Finance Certificate – CTFING
Delivery Mode: Online
Terms of Entry: Fall, Spring, Summer
Enrollment Eligibility: Current degree-seeking student or non-degree status
Expected Completion in 2-3 semesters
The program is designed to provide students with an enhanced ability to progress in financial and non-financial careers through developing an improved understanding of finance. Students will be equipped with a base of knowledge and theory in addition to gaining experience with industry standard techniques and tools for related analysis. Real world examples and relating material to current and recent events allow for strong connections to be made between courses and practice. The curriculum is focused in three core areas of finance:
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Markets
The mission of the program is to provide recent graduates and in-career professionals in financial and non-financial fields with an understanding of, and ability to mathematically analyze, decision making in finance.
Certificate Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Describe and implement the capital budgeting process.
- Apply valuation techniques to projects and investment opportunities for firms.
- Explain how the capital budgeting process and numeric techniques lead to efficient decision making.
Opportunities upon Completion:
Students who successfully complete the Finance Certificate will gain knowledge related to the core areas of finance and gain experience using industry standard tools. This provides additional and improved career opportunities for students currently working inside finance and those working in other fields. Students will advance more quickly in finance as a result of knowledge and experience from the certificate that provide a jump forward in field expertise. The certificate will also allow students working in finance to more easily change roles within the field as their breadth of knowledge and experience has increased. Lastly, students currently working outside finance will also gain from an increase in their breadth of knowledge and experience, providing an advantage in securing broader-focus management roles.
- Minimum Semester Hours: 12
- Thesis requirement: No
- Qualifying exam: No
- GPA in program: 3.0
- Required courses: MBA 6335, MBA 6355, MBA 6365, MBA 6345
Financial aid eligibility information:
- Non-degree-seeking students enrolled in this certificate are not eligible for federal financial aid.
- Current degree-seeking students may use federal financial aid only for 1) coursework fulfilling requirements of their degree, including required elective hours, or 2) coursework toward a second financial aid-eligible program.
- Students receiving federal financial aid may not take courses for this certificate unless they are also enrolled full-time (9 hours) in their degree program during the same academic term. Financial aid may be used for courses that count toward both degree requirements and the certificate.
- Bachelors degree from a regionally-accredited university
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Official transcript(s)
- Current resume
- Online application with $35 fee
- No GRE or GMAT scores required
International applicants must also submit:
- TOEFL iBT score of 150 or IELTS of 7.5
- General academic credentials evaluation (ECE or WES report)
Transfer credits are not accepted for this program.
International Students: This certificate program does not permit full-time enrollment in residence at Ohio University, and an I-20 cannot be issued based on admission to this program.