Certificate code CTBMAU
College of Fine Arts
Art + Design, School of
528 Seigfred Hall
Athens, OH 45701
Julie Dummermuth, contact person
The Certificate in Biomedical Arts builds knowledge in the areas of anatomical modeling as well as anatomical and scientific drawing and illustrations, including diagrammatic and conceptualized illustrations. The certificate equips students with the necessary skills to document, interpret, capture, and portray varying natural subjects. This certificate is open to any degree-seeking, undergraduate students and can be completed in 22 hours of a minimum of 3 terms. It is especially valuable to Studio Art and Graphic Design students, as well as those in the fields of Medicine, Biology and Natural Sciences.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program:
- Students will be able to interpret and accurately render full or partial sections of the human form in traditional drawing and other 2D media.
- Students will be able to digitally recreate a variety of human-based forms using effective 2D modeling techniques in digital media.
- Students will be able to reproduce the human face, skull and body forms with traditional sculpting media using observational methods and medical diagrams.
- Students will be able to recognize factors and applications for different mold-making designs in the medical industry, including flexible and rigid molds.
- Students will be able to safely and accurately create full and partial face or body impressions using alginate and polyvinylsiloxane (PVS)-based impression materials.
Applicants must be degree-seeking undergraduates and meet general University admission guidelines to enroll in the Biomedical Arts Certificate. Please contact Julie Dummermuth (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a statement regarding your goals and interest in the certificate. Please include your current degree program and any other minors and certificates, as well as your anticipated term of graduation.
Change of Program Policy
No selective or limited admission requirements. Please refer to Freshman/First-Year Admission information above for contact information and special instructions.
External Transfer Admission
No requirements beyond University admission requirements. Please frefer to Freshman/First-Year Admission Information above for contact information and special instructions.
Opportunities Upon Graduation
The visual language, processes and tools of anatomical drawing and modeling are highly transferrable skill sets that support a wide array of career trajectories. This includes, for example, the creation of fine art; aiding research in the fields of medicine, biology and natural sciences; developing diagrammatic illustrations and models for educational purposes, and assisting with the apprehension and conviction of criminal offenders through forensic arts. Completing this certificate will also prepare students to enter graduate programs in Biomedical Arts and Scientific Illustration.