Oct 06, 2022
CHEM 3080 - Organic Chemistry Laboratory I
Separation, purification, and characterization of organic compounds: recrystallization, distillation, sublimation, extraction, TLC, column chromatography, GC, HPLC, melting points, and NMR.
Requisites: CHEM 3010 or 3050 or concurrent
Credit Hours: 1
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 2.0 laboratory
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: TAG course: OSC010 Organic Chemistry Sequence
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Students will gain a deeper theoretical understanding of both intermolecular forces and acid-base chemistry.
- Students will learn to assess the environmental impact and possible hazardousness of organic compounds and reactions.
- Students will learn to work safely, confidently and independently in an organic laboratory.
- Students will master basic instrumentation to synthesize organic compounds.
- Students will master important techniques to characterize organic compounds.
- Students will master important techniques to separate and purify organic compounds.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)