Aug 16, 2022
DANC 4711 - Writing Dance and Gender
This Advanced Writing course engages with dance studies that examine dance in cultural, historical, and contemporary contexts in relation to questions of gender and sexuality. Through a variety of texts, students become conversant with terminology, concepts, and theories of gender studies, sexuality studies, and feminist dance history. The course places particular emphasis on the writing and revision process, as students write several short responses to texts and performances, provide peer feedback, and practice revising their writing. The course culminates in a research paper on a topic related to dance and gender.
Requisites: Jr or Sr
Credit Hours: 3
OHIO BRICKS Foundations: Advanced Writing
General Education Code (students who entered prior to Fall 2021-22): 1J
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the context and purpose of various dance studies texts.
- Students will be able to use appropriate, relevant, and compelling content to illustrate mastery of the subject of dance and gender, conveying the writer’s understanding, and shaping the whole work.
- Students will be able to use formal and informal rules for particular kinds of texts that guide formatting, organization, and stylistic choices appropriate for dance studies.
- Students will be able to use and source texts (including written, oral, behavioral, visual, and performance) to extend, argue with, develop, define, or shape the writer’s ideas.
- Students will be able to use syntax and mechanics effectively to communicate ideas.
- Students will be able to engage in thoughtful, respectful discussions in class and in peer writing feedback.
- Students will be able to explain how societal perceptions of gender and sexuality affect dance as an art form and social practice.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)