Sep 26, 2022
CHEM 1205L - Survey of Chemistry for Health Sciences Laboratory
This course provides the laboratory component to accompany CHEM 1205 (Survey of Chemistry for Health Sciences) in examining the fundamentals of general, organic, and biological chemistry concepts with a focus on the chemistry of life.
Requisites: CHEM 1205 or concurrent
Credit Hours: 1
OHIO BRICKS Arch: Natural World
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 laboratory
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
Course Transferability: OTM course: TMNS Natural Sciences
College Credit Plus: Level 1
- Students will be able to safely handle laboratory glassware, equipment, chemicals, and waste in accordance to safety regulations.
- Students will be able to demonstrate methods for preparation, purification, separation, and identification of organic compounds.
- Students will be able to perform basic laboratory techniques used to measure and record experimental data (e.g. mass, melting point, and retention factor).
- Students will be able to appropriately interpret laboratory results and calculate reaction metrics (e.g. percent yield).
- Students will be able to derive chemical properties from experimental data and analyze and interpret experimental results to develop appropriate conclusions.
- Students will be able to explain how hands-on laboratory experiments demonstrate relevant chemistry concepts.
- Students will be able to articulate and follow ethical principles in the laboratory setting.
- Students will be able to apply scientific methods of inquiry appropriate to a discipline to gather and analyze data and draw evidence-based conclusions.
- Student will be able to communicate how scientific findings contribute to the modern world.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)