Feb 04, 2023
DANC 3550 - Dance Cultures of the World I
Introduction to dance cultures of world (excluding Western art dance). Function of dance in society and its relationship to other arts.
Credit Hours: 3
General Education Code: 2FA
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 2.0 lecture, 2.0 studio
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Define special vocabulary relative to dance cultural study.
- Describe the difference between emic and etic approaches to comparative dance study.
- Discuss the concepts of dance culture and world view.
- Explain differences between dance communities and dance societies using examples.
- Explain how dance culture is a microcosm of the total culture and give examples.
- Explain the difference between high and low contexts for communicating dance culture.
- Identify the three processes of acquiring/learning dance knowledge with examples.
- Identify three major contributors to the early development of dance cultural study.
- Understand the use of determining micro features of dance movement for analyzing dance.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)