Feb 04, 2023
JOUR 4700 - Sportswriting
Learning sports reporting from the field to the locker room–from the stats to the stories.
Requisites: ENG 1510 and (JOUR 231A and 233) or (231 and 233) or 2310 or 2311 and JOUR major
Credit Hours: 3
General Education Code: 1JE
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Apply basic numerical and statistical concepts in preparing sports stories.
- Critically evaluate their own work and that of others for accuracy and fairness, clarity, appropriate style, and grammatical correctness.
- Demonstrate an understanding of gender, race ethnicity, sexual orientation and, as appropriate, other forms of diversity in domestic society in relation to sports writing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethical principles as they relate to sports reporting, and work ethically in pursuit of truth, accuracy, fairness, and diversity.
- Learn to gather information and write sports stories.
- Uderstand the particular challenges of sports reporting and writing.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)