Oct 24, 2019
SWAH 1110 - Elementary Swahili I
Introduces learners to Swahili vocabulary and grammar. These are used as the foundation for promoting the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. Emphasis will be on promoting the learners’ ability to express themselves, describe their daily experiences and engage in basic conversations. Although East African texts (reading passages, music and poems) will be used to promote learners’ understanding and appreciation of Swahili language and culture, non East African texts in Swahili might be sparingly used to achieve certain objectives. While the main focus of the course will be on enriching the students understanding of African culture through the learning of Swahili, students are expected to relate the Swahili culture with their everyday experiences. Learners will be involved in a semester long portfolio project comprised of biographical information about their everyday activities, or activities of other people, whether actual or fictional with an intention of applying all aspects of the materials covered in class. Specific information on this will be provided in the syllabus.
Credit Hours: 4
General Education Code: 2CP
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 4.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will be able to see the connection between Swahili language and culture.
- Student will be able to describe their everyday experiences, introduce themselves and their significant others and carry on simple conversations.
- Student will be know the basic structure of Swahili structure.
- Students will create their own biographies or biographies of someone they know in a form of portfolio that encompasses most of the material covered in class throughout the semester.
- Students will know the different noun classes in Swahili.
- Students will learn how to read and write in Swahili.
- Students will learn simple everyday phrases and words.
[Add to Portfolio]