May 25, 2020
MUS 3625 - The History of Jazz
Study of jazz styles from inception to the current era. Develop understanding and appreciation for jazz music through topical readings, listening, and exploration of the social and musical implications of jazz music in American culture.
Requisites: WARNING: No credit for both this course and the following (always deduct credit for first course taken): MUS 4280
Credit Hours: 3
General Education Code: 2FA
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will be able to assess jazz music, both in terms of quality and genre/style.
- Students will be able to aurally identify and describe the style periods of jazz.
- Students will be able to compare and contrast jazz with other musics.
- Students will be able to identify the elements of jazz music.
- Students will be able to identify the role of jazz’s influence in American social and art cultures.
- Students will learn jazz performance practice.
Add to Portfolio