Sep 21, 2021
EDTE 3720 - Instructional Adaptations for Middle Childhood Learners with Exceptionalities and Diverse Needs
This course is designed to develop skills needed by educators at the upper elementary and middle levels to work with learners with exceptionalities and diverse needs in inclusive classrooms. Content includes curriculum modifications, instructional and management adaptations, effective collaboration strategies, accessing related and support services, and skills required for instructing and managing an inclusive classroom.
Requisites: Admission to Advanced standing and 2.75 GPA
Credit Hours: 3
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,PR,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will be able to apply co-planning and co-teaching methods to strengthen content acquisition of individuals with exceptional and diverse learning needs.
- Students will be able to analyze issues, assurances, and due process rights related to assessment, eligibility, and placement within a continuum of services.
- Students will be able to analyze and evaluate the educational and social implications of characteristics of various exceptionalities.
- Students will be able to evaluate and modify instructional practices in response to ongoing assessment data.
- Students will be able to implement research-supported methods for academic and nonacademic instruction of individuals with exceptional and diverse learning needs.
- Students will be able to organize, develop, and sustain learning environments that support positive intra-cultural and intercultural experiences.
- Students will be able to demonstrate skill in responding to differing ways of learning, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, and implement strategies of support in the classroom.
- Students will be able to reflect in writing on one’s practice to improve instruction and guide professional growth.
- Students will be able to implement strategies to support and enhance communication skills of individuals with exceptional and diverse learning needs.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)