Sep 26, 2023
JOUR 3500 - Radio and Television Reporting and Writing
Development of writing and reporting skills for audio and video news.
Requisites: (JOUR 231A and 233) or (231 and 233) or 2310 or 2311) OR (JOUR Minor and JOUR 1050 and 2150)
Credit Hours: 3
General Education Code: 1JE
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Be able to critically evaluate own and others’ work for accuracy, fairness, clarity, and effective use of writing, audio and video for compelling storytelling.
- Be able to produce an audio or a video news package from start to finish, including reporting, writing, recording/shooting and editing.
- Learn interview techniques to elicit compelling soundbites.
- Understand audio and video editing principles for news and be able to edit using appropriate equipment/software.
- Understand audio journalism, and be able to gather audio elements and use recording gear.
- Understand how to ensure a diversity of perspectives and context in every story.
- Understand video journalism using NPPA style and be able to shoot with DV cameras.
- Understand visual storytelling, story flow, pacing, and personalization.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)