Apr 16, 2021
ECEE 3110 - Reading to Learn: Content and Practice
This course focuses on developmental reading across P-5. Grounded in the science of reading and building on ECEE 2500 Learning to Read: Theory and Practice, all forms of literacy (reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing) and the way they contribute to the development of proficient reading are studied. Candidates also learn how to integrate content area (mathematics, science, social studies, art, music, and physical education) and literacy instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
Requisites: EDTE 2000, 2010, 2020 concurrent and advanced standing in education and 2.75 GPA
Credit Hours: 3
Repeat/Retake Information: May be retaken two times excluding withdrawals, but only last course taken counts.
Lecture/Lab Hours: 3.0 lecture
Grades: Eligible Grades: A-F,WP,WF,WN,FN,AU,I
- Students will be able to apply theory and research on the science of reading when developing a balanced approach to teaching literacy within the P-5 classroom.
- Students will be able to employ strategies for teaching the comprehension of texts.
- Students will be able to employ strategies for teaching language and vocabulary.
- Students will be able to employ strategies for increasing reading fluency.
- Students will be able to employ strategies for teaching word recognition.
- Students will be able to employ strategies for teaching writing and spelling.
- Students will be able to enhance content area instruction through the inclusion of appropriate and meaningful literacy strategies, including reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing.
- Students will be able to articulate the importance of fostering home and school relationships and the impact of these relationship on literacy development and learning.
- Students will be able to demonstrate appropriate literacy strategies for working with all children, including diverse learners.
- Students will be able to employ motivating reading/literacy activities to engage all children in learning.
- Students will be able to organize and manage the P-5 reading/literacy classroom.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)